Hungry Ghost Festival 2009

As the 2010 Hungry Ghost Festival draws near, I hope to share some of the pictures I took last year. In Chinese tradition, the fifteenth day of the seventh month in the lunar calendar is called Ghost Day and the seventh month in general is regarded as the Ghost Month (鬼月), in which ghosts and spirits, including those of the deceased ancestors, come out from the lower realm.



The Ghost Festival is celebrated during the seventh month of the Chinese Lunar calendar. During this month, the gates of hell are opened up and ghosts are free to roam the earth where they seek food and entertainment. 

dThese ghosts are believed to be ancestors of those who have forgotten to pay tribute to them after they had died, or those who have suffered deaths and were never given a proper ritual for a send-off. They have long thin necks because they have not been fed by their family, or it is a sign of punishment so they are unable to swallow. Sourced from Wikipedia


Its been almost a year since the 2009 Festival. Well, I'm slowly uploading the shots I took whenever I can, sort of like revisiting the past. I hope this series does not contain any scary silhouettes though. In case those of you who knows me are wondering where the chinese words come from; Google.

0 comments:

Post a Comment